More than 2 out of 3 Americans are overweight/obese. Many of them are trying to lose weight by following a certain diet or an exercise program but a significant number have come to realize that they need a professional help for weight loss.
In this article, we will try to put together some criteria to look for when you are trying to find the right weight loss clinic.
- Activity: Joining the local gym is important but most likely will not result in the desired weight loss. Exercise is definitely a part of a healthy lifestyle but the effect of exercise on weight is not more than 10 percent. Remember, obesity is a metabolic disease and you cannot fix a bad metabolism with just movement of your muscles.
- Weight Loss Drugs: Avoid any use of appetite suppressants such as phentermine or other similar medications. These medications do not make you lose weight. They just make you not feel the hunger while your body is actually starving. Most of the clinics that use these medications put you also in a severe calorie restricted diet. You will certainly lose weight but you will put it all back on once you stop taking these medications. They are not safe and they have many dangerous side effects. They are not intended for long-term use. Theses clinic offer quick fix with ads like lose 30 pounds in 30 days but again the root cause of obesity which is an abnormal metabolism is never addressed.
- HCG Diet: Do not go to the clinic that uses HCG treatment. There has been an FDA warning against the use of HCG for weight loss. It is a hormone that is secreted normally in the body of pregnant females and there is not any proven evidence that it has any beneficial effect in treating obesity. What these clinics really do is to is make people miserable by severely restricting caloric intake to 500 cal/day. The HCG is used to make you not feel the hunger by causing nausea and other ill-like effects. The long-term results of this method is really bad and some patient report weight gain of 1 pound a day and most of the time they end up with heavier weight than their starting weight.
- A Complex Medical Condition: Obesity is a complicated medical condition resulting from abnormality in the metabolism. It is not any less important than other medical conditions such as diabetes mellitus or hypertension. You have to make sure that you are seen in this weight clinic by a board-certified physician who is also able to manage all your other medical conditions simultaneously.
- Commercial Programs: Avoid using the commercial generic programs that are not individualized and usually rely on meal replacement therapy such as pre-prepared meals, protein shakes, and bars. These food like products are not natural. They are heavily processed and made with hundred if chemicals not real food. They might help you lose weight initially but never in a healthy way and is unsustainable.
- Primary Care: Your primary care physician has received very little or no training in managing obesity and most likely he/she is not right person to go to for help.
- Solution: The correct clinic should be able to treat the root cause of obesity. Obesity is just the symptoms. It is not the real disease. It is equivalent l to the fever you will have when you are suffering from and infections. Just treating the fever without addressing the main cause of the disease is dangerous. That is the same this of trying to treat the weight without addressing what is wrong in the metabolism.
The Metabolism Clinic is established as the destination for weight loss and reversal of diabetes. Based in Charlotte, North Carolina. www.themetabolismclinic.com